Here’s a beginner’s overview of one of the most influential and powerful marketing channels: event marketing.
One thing can be universally agreed upon: everyone loves events. It’s no surprise that brands want to capitalize on the excitement that surrounds them. That is why event marketing is one of the most influential and powerful marketing channels in the world.
What is event marketing?
Event marketing is when a company or brand creates a live experience for promotion. To explain further, Wikipedia defines event marketing as:
“The experiential marketing of a brand, service, or product through promotional events. It typically involves direct interaction with a brand’s representatives. It should not be confused with event management, which is a process of organizing, promoting, and conducting events.”
There are different types
Event marketing can be accomplished through any type of event. As you know, there are infinite kinds and categories of events too. Therefore, the sky is the limit with event marketing! It can be achieved by hosting your own industry event or participating in a greater one among others.
The most common types include company participation in events like:
- Conferences and trade shows
- Sponsorships of special events
- Charity fundraisers
- Educational events like seminars and workshops
- Launch parties
- Pop up shops
While events are often thought of as in-person ordeals, there is an abundant amount of event marketing opportunities digitally. This is accomplished through online experiences like virtual events, webinars, and live-streamed workshops. With 2020’s COVID-19 pandemic, these digital options are becoming more and more sought-after and successful.
The importance of event marketing
Its importance can be summed up by one word: experience. Events open the door for brands to interact with their end-users face to face. Through unique and one-of-a-kind activities, brands can create experiences that stick with attendees for a lifetime.
Event marketing can influence purchasing decisions, build brand loyalty, grow brand awareness, change perspectives, and more. It’s no surprise that 90% of C-level executives believe in the power of events and 30% of marketers believe that events are the most effective marketing channel.
“Businesses will utilize event strategies more than ever before as human experiences will be how companies choose to differentiate themselves, especially those that can’t do so through technologies,” says Hubspot. “The key to any great event strategy is very simple — identify the memory you want attendees to walk away with and work backward.”
What are the benefits?
Brands can benefit from a successful event in countless ways. Here are some of the top reasons why a company should consider marketing through events.
- 1×1 Interaction: Live events are unlike other types of marketing because of the priceless opportunity to interact with your audience 1×1.
- Unique Experiences: Events let brands offer multi-sensory experiences that let the attendee live through the brand creating a more influential impact.
- Increase Demand: Promoting through events helps drives the demand and overall hype for your product.
- Lead Capture: Events are an easy opportunity to collect warm leads of interested prospects. With a post-event follow-up, these leads directly convert to sales.
- Brand Awareness: Simply put, your presence at an event forces people to notice you, but gives you the power to make a lasting impression.
- Meet New Audiences: Events give you the potential to find undiscovered niches you never knew existed.
- Encourage Education: Introduce attendees to new products, teach them about your solutions, and support education on topics otherwise hard to communicate.
- Industry Recognition: Many brands justify participation in events like trade shows for industry recognition. To compete with other brands, it’s important to be present where they are.
- Generate Revenue: Through ticket sales, sponsorships, and more, events can produce significant profits for companies.
All of these benefits ultimately build the brand and drive sales. Event marketing gives the consumer an insider’s glimpse into the company, on the company’s terms. What’s better than that?
How to improve your event marketing
One way to improve event marketing is to invest in event management software.
There are only so many hours in a day, so any tricks to saving time are essential. Using an all-in-one app platform, like ThymeBase’s event planning software, for total event management helps simplify your life. This will help you stay organized, keep track of to-do lists, collaborate with others, and more making event marketing easier for your entire team.
The opportunities are endless and all brands should embrace it. Events are a cornerstone of any successful marketing strategy and hopefully, now you know why!
Amanda Larson, CED, is a Certified Event Designer, marketer, and content creator. With a degree in journalism and special events management, Amanda has worked in marketing and events for both international startups and Fortune500 companies. She specializes in digital branding, copywriting, and graphic design freelancing for clients globally.
You can read other articles by Amanda here: